In 1945, Marvin Cohn opened a hardware store in Alabama City, Alabama (now Gadsden). His initial goal was to provide excellent service coupled with quality products. As business grew, Marvin opened an additional Gadsden location and added housewares, a small line of electrical supplies and plumbing supplies.
Expanding to Full-Service Home Centers
In 1956, a warehouse was rented to accommodate Marvin's growing list of new products. Lumber, plywood, siding, and millwork were now part of Marvin's inventory. The business continued to expand and in 1965, a full-service home center was constructed to replace the two older stores. Since then, Marvin's has grown to include stores throughout Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Tennessee.