From a small family dairy farm in the early 1900s to a state of the art 76,000 square foot facility on Venice Road, the legacy of Toft Dairy is a story of a commitment to quality and forward-thinking principles. It all started back in the year 1900 when Chris and Matilda Toft began selling raw milk by a horse-drawn wagon to the citizens of Sandusky, Ohio. With the purchase of Oswald Dairy in 1935, the Toft Dairy reputation spread throughout the region. This led to the adoption of wholesale and retail routes which provided the foundation for business growth which was vital to get Tofts to where it is today.
Though business was growing, the original facilities were becoming too cumbersome and slowed development, so in 1940 Toft Dairy moved facilities to a much larger location on Adam Street in Sandusky. This brought the capacity for a larger delivery fleet (3 additional vehicles were added) and the addition of a line of high-quality ice cream products, which in turn included adding a retail store complete with an old-time soda fountain.
Milk is delivered to the plant in Sandusky 365 days a year from 20 local farms, all of which are within a 50-mile radius. Contracting with local farmers allows Tofts to guarantee their customers that they use the freshest quality of milk to make all of their delicious products. Tofts has received written pledges from all 20 of their dairy farms to refrain from using the synthetic growth hormone rBST in their production of milk shipped to the Tofts plant. Tofts has become locally famous for its One Quality philosophy, which means Tofts uses only the finest ingredients to produce the highest quality products. The One Quality philosophy is a Toft's family tradition that has continued through 5 generations. This family owned and operated dairy is now over 118 years old and is Ohio's oldest dairy!